[blindkid] Advice needed about school incident

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 5 14:09:23 UTC 2009

I had similar things happen as the only blind high school student. Someone
took food, ate part of it, and had the whole table laughing when they put
the french fry back on my tray and I ate it, not knowing it had been bitten
off of. This was a painful experience for me, as I was the social outcast
that no one would eat with at school. After the incident I described, I was
almost relieved to eat alone. As to being told I was totally blind and
others had vision, I think at age six I thought adults could see, because my
parents could. This meant they could drive, read using eyes instead of
hands, know colors and read my temperature on a glass rod when I was sick. I
thought kids read Braille and went on a small bus to school. I got told in
no uncertain terms by another little girl that I was wrong. She rode on a
bigg bus, rode a bike with two wheels, had 26 kids in her class and was
learning to read with her eyes. The way she said it made me feel inferior.
It took until I was out of school and found the Federation and my husband
who is also a part of the Federation before I realized that it was
respectable to be blind. It was sure grand to realize our techniques were
not inferior, but just different!