[blindkid] paper on Braille literacy for blind children

Gibbs, Emily egibbs at brazosportisd.net
Thu Nov 5 16:37:46 UTC 2009

Kasondra,

As for statistics on Braille Literacy, there is no better place to look
that Dr. Ryles' study, "The Impact of Braille Reading Skills on
Employment,
Income, Education, and Reading Habits" You can find the study here.
http://nfb.org/legacy/bm/bm98/bm980204.htm.   I've also included an
attachment The Braille Literacy Crisis.

Here are some links for the images that you have requested.

A Braille Cell
http://www.ncaonline.org/files/nca_images/alt_formats/Braille-Cell.jpg

The print alphabet with the corresponding braille letter beneath it.
http://highlinelibrary.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/braille_alphabet1.jpg

A Perkins Brailler
http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/~gb/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/perkinsbrailler
.jpg