[blindkid] Joli and her cane

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Sat Oct 17 16:55:36 UTC 2009

I agree with Richard, the sighted guide technique does nothing for promoting
independence  in our students or in our adults transitioning into a blind
life.  It is an important quick learn for Joli to take with her if and when
she travels  alone  she would then be able to advise and teach others on how
best to guide her in an empowering and independent manner.  I do not agree
with any one persons position that academics or technologies opening the
door to cognitive development should take a back seat to a cane.i do agree
that it is an odd goal to have in an iep and would suggest you immediately
insist that Joli be aloud to independently determine if and when she
considers setting the cane aside and let her choose to take an arm if and
when she feels the need. If her mode of mobility were a wheel chair Do you
think the  the teachers or administration expect her to get up out of awheel
chair and be carried from one class to another? I think not. Perhaps if Joli
had a collapsible cane that would alleviate any concern about how clumsey
carrying it might appear to teachers. Or perhaps, we could invite the
teachers and administrators at your aschool to tracel with a cane and
without a cane, and oh yeah perhaps they should try doing so with a
simulation of vision similar to that with which Joli travels on a daily
basis. I have found that simple empathy and "walking a mile in my shoes"
goes a long way to change perspectives on mobility for the sighted.

Albert J. Rizzi
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.