[blindkid] School Cane O/M issues

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:48:05 UTC 2009

Sally, teachers do not, as a rule, allow blind/VI students to get out of
class 5 minutes early.  It can be a major hinderence to all concerned.
While most schools generally ask students to be "in their seat" when the
bell rings, it's real hard to justify why the district could/should/must
allow that exception.  In Torrance, CA, Local Schools, schools are required
to give 5 minutes notice between the end of 1 period, and the beginning of
another.  Anyone who walks out of class, blind or not, is marked as a
truant.

I'm not saying each school district is different, but I'm saying that I'm
speaking from experience.  In life, there are no tardy bells.  You arrive
on time, or you're fired.  Don't arrive late; never leave early.

Eric
Happy Halloween from Eric in Los Angeles!