[blindkid] School cane O/M issues

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Tue Oct 20 00:29:44 UTC 2009

I am appalled  by what you said about the o&m instructor used by your school district. As a recent entrant into the blind community I find that all to often there are way to many malcontents in the blind community who impose their generationally nurtured hopelessness  and overall apathy about working blindness in an empowering manner.  It is not and has not been a death sentence for me. But all to often I come across individuals meant to help me to garner independence  yet they look at me as if I had two heads when I challenge them on their antiquated approaches  to helping the blind. All to often the bar is set to low for our blind students and it seems that mediocrity is the new standard for success in all things.  I am not sure how effective your states commission for the blind is, but perhaps you could start there,  Or perhaps  you could reach out to the lighthouse international in nyc to find out if they have offices in your state. They have a wonderful pre-k program complete with children of all visual abilities. I cannot believe that the school is placing blame on your daughter and labeling her a behavioral disorder without giving her the tools she needs to be safe and navigate life and play as adeptly as other children do, I mean, and I have said this before, if she was in a wheel chair would they deny her that tool to safely traverse the school and all it has to offer?  I think not. You might need to get tougher on them and insist they deliver the least restrictive  environment which promotes independence and empowers  your daughter. Do a Google of Thomas Hehir he is a professor at Harvard university.  I think his writings and findings will pleasantly  surprise you and give you more ammunition  to present to the school and to that lame o&m instructor .

Albert J. Rizzi
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.
New York, New York  10004
www.myblindspot.org
PH: 917-553-0347
Fax: 212-858-5759
"The person who says it cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt the one who is doing it."