[blindkid] LRE~School Choice

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Oct 29 18:52:16 UTC 2009

Every situation is truly different and the entire notion of an IEP is
that it is (or should be) an INDIVIDUALIZED education program.

We've had a few problems but overall been very successful with our
IEP's and in getting what we need. As you know, you will have to have
an IEP to be enrolled and receive needed vision-related services. What
needs to happen is your child's individual needs should be addressed
at that time. In fact that's where we as parents come in so
critically-- making certain that concerns are addressed properly and
in not signing an IEP if we feel this is not the case.

I think that children without the required adapted travel skills
should be able to expect additional staffing to supervise their way to
the playground (etc.) this would often be with a para-professional
assigned to your child or in some cases given several duties but
tasked with something like getting a child to and from the playground
safely as a primary duty. At a later time, when that is no longer
needed, that can be removed from the IEP.

Other solutions may include this duty falling to a co-teacher in
classrooms where there are both regular-ed and special-ed teachers. In
our class, most of the time we have all three-- general ed, special
ed, and a para-pro and this sort of thing rotates around, generally
between the para & spacial-ed teacher.

For example, a para might walk your child "sighted guide" to the
playground with her cane in hand as well. Or if you child does not
need that much assistance, the para might supervise your child's
progress & safety. My daughter (age 7) is a cane traveler and tends to
go (at least on school grounds) to and from places without direct
assistance. She generally ends up going behind the other kids (she is
indeed slower for now) with an adult supervising directly and offering
verbal cues and reminders as appropriate. This avoids most of the
trampling concerns you mentioned.

The same is true on field trips, but I know and understand that it is
much more likely that an adult might step in with sighted-guide
assistance or other techniques as necessary and appropriate on a field
trip to downtown Atlanta if a vehicle were in motion and headed where
she was, or to avoid a tumble down a stairway, (or anything else that
might come up). Later on, that should become MUCH less of an issue.

A para may also be appropriate for some or all of class activities to
do things like describe visual aspects of what is going on with
lessons, etc.... Ask for what you truly believe is needed and avoid
what you feel is excessive.

As far as school selections, the most appropriate situation (and LRE)
will be determined in your IEP. If you feel the least restrictive
environment is one where there are fewer students so that (possibly)
less direct intervention would be required due to the smaller group
size, that is a great place to start that conversation.

We went and toured virtually every school in our area and had a
meeting with each principal and various teachers at each before we got
to the stage of deciding where we wanted our daughter to go. We had
representatives from 3 or 4 different schools at our pre-first-grade
IEP all explaining why their school was "best" for us, much like a
sales pitch to buy a car or vacuum cleaner, then the IEP team followed
our request / advice / suggestions.

That may sound lucky, but it wasn't entirely luck. We had made our
case in advance with several people and brought in some "ringers" to
the IEP as well. We were prepared to make it reasonably difficult to
push us where we didn't want to go and calmly offered good arguments
for out suggested placement. These things really can and do work out
properly sometimes but it takes a good deal of effort...

Feel free to contact me off list if you wish for further discussion.

Good luck!

Richard