[blindkid] Talking typing Teacher

Sally Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:41:22 UTC 2009

Hi Amber,

You could look into the screen reader from Serotek (www.serotek.com). The
screen reader is free.  You are required to fill out an application which
includes a special eye report.  My son (age 12) uses JAWS and the Serotek
screen reader and he really likes the Serotek screen reader.

That said, the school should supply your child with the tools to participate
in the curriculum.  I don't think that there is a problem with saying
"screen reader" instead of mentioning a brand name but by supplying Talking
Typer, they are NOT supplying a screen reader.  So, if the only thing the
sighted kids are doing on the computer is practicing typing, Talking Typer
might be adequate.  If they are looking at websites or doing other work,
your child needs a screen reader.

Another issue is who is going to teach your child how to use the screen
reader?  Just because your child can get the Serotek reader for free doesn't
mean she'll be able to use it if there isn't any support.

As far as the IEP goes, they have to have an annual IEP.  There are a lot of
issues involved here and it is hard to identify exactly what you need to do
without knowing all the facts.  You should try to familiarize yourself with
the law.  the wrightslaw website is a place to start: www.wrightslaw.com .

Sally Thomas