[blindkid] Teaching differences between boys and girls to blindkids?

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 04:53:21 UTC 2010

Um, again, I don't think it is much different from teaching sighted
children.  When you dress your baby and change your baby and bathe your baby
you tell them about their body parts, all of their body parts if you are a
responsible and well-informed parent, because the truth of the matter is
that sexual predditors almost always use slang or pet terms for body parts,
and children armed with knowledge, self awareness and accurate anatomical
termonology are kids that are better protected from potential abuse and
better prepared and empowered to report and stop abuse if it occurs.  Just
as you tell your baby "Let's wash between your toes, doesn't that tickle?
Now we'll wash your little feet.  Ok, leggs and bum and tummy." while
bathing them, we also might say "I know your bottom hurts, but I've got to
put some diaper balm on your bottom and on your penis too.  I know that
feels weird, but you don't want this rash to spread."  When toddlers
discover their genitals, right along with their toes, it is best to simply
identify what they are exploring, not chastizing them or especially
encouraging them.  A baby exploring their "private" parts is normal and
natural, and discouraging this behavior can cause later body image issues.
But as toddlers grow older we teach them the time and the place.  For
instance, it is not unheard of for a two and a half year old to perade
around proclaiming "vagina" or "penis" while proudly patting their diaper.
Just as in potty learning times we don't discourage our child from suddenly
stopping a meal or a coloring session to announce " poopy" or "need to pea",
we do not discourage echnowledgement of private body parts.  But, as
toddlers grow up their interest in bodily functions and individual body
parts naturally wanes.  Kindergardiners learn that while their bodily
functions and body parts are nothing to be ashamed of, that it is only
neccessary to discuss them if they are hurting, have had an accident or have
a new question about something that has happened.  We can never entirely
stop our children from scratching under their arms or picking their noses or
adjusting their underwear when it has migrated into their bottom cleft, but
they learn to do this in private, to use cleanex over their finger if
removing something especially stubborn from their nose, and to wash their
hands after touching mucus membranes, and hopefully this will hold true for
private body part exploration, so that when interest rekindles in the
genitals, the child will not feel ashamed to masterbate and to take care of
good personal hygene as it relates to sexual and reproductive health, as
they enter adolescence but they will not be overly exhibitionist or
obsessive either.  A girl who as an infant and a toddler was taught that she
has a vagina, not a "down there" and who as a preschooler was helped with
wetting accidents in a sensative and non-judging manner, and who as a
kindergardiner was taught about her right to being in control of her own
body will be the pre-teen that can talk openly with her mother about what to
expect when she reaches menarche, and who will be able to consider women's
sexual health issues such as using a menstral cup or cloth pads from a
matter-of-fact point of view, who will not get into trouble with the opposit
sex, for lack of knowledge of just what exactly does and does not put her at
risk for pregnancy, STDs and STIs.

When children, blind or sighted are very young they will experience the body
of their mother during breastfeeding, snuggling, etc, and with the exception
of the genitals, pretty much everything else on men's and women's bodies
will be explored.  Blind babies will touch their mother's smoothe cheeks and
chin and notice that their father has stubble or facial hair.  The blind
infant will notice the absence of breasts on men who hold them, the
difference in the timbres of the voices of men and women.  They will even
pick up on subtle things like the differences in cheekbone, nose and jaw
contour, as they explore the faces of others.  This is not the false and
stereotypical "blind people touching other people's faces" thing that you
see in movies, this is something that all babies, blind and sighted do.
They love to look at faces and touch faces.  Differences in height are
conveyed not only in sight, but in how high above them voices come from
auditorily, and the bodily kenesthetic difference in how high up the infant
is lifted when mommy picks them up, vs. when daddy picks them up.  Infants,
especially newborns can also smell the differences in hormone levels,
especially testosterone and progestin.  The blind child is equally
observant, noticing the larger hands of men vs. women, the differences in
skin texture, and the over all differences in fat to muscle ratio.  Women
should have a ten percent greater fat to muscle ratio than men, which is
evident when you hug a man or a woman, as all children do with friends and
family members.  Even if a child does not go groping around for the butt or
breasts, their arms naturally feel the bust to waist to hip ratio that is
obviously quite different on women to men, when participating in a healthy,
normal, non-sexual hug with another person.  It is helpful if a blind child
has younger sibblings that they can assist in dressing, and if they are old
enough to supervise a baby on a changing table, in changing their younger
sibblings.  I'm not saying that they should go nuts examining their baby
brother or sister like a lab experiment or a fascinating little machine, and
of course supervision is eesential to premote helping, not hurting, and to
pick up on potential stress cues that the baby might be  sending but that
the inexperienced older sibbling might not be used to, but if they are
taught in a casual and unashamed way the proper way to clean the delicate
private parts of a baby to prevent infection after a diaper change, they
will have a good idea of how this all works and is different amung the
sexes.  Anatomically correct dolls are not hard to find, and often unaltered
family pets are a good teaching tool.  I remember my mother explaining to me
that the little bumps on her guide dog's belly were nipples, and that they
were for feeding puppies, but that mommy doggies didn't have breasts that
stick out unless they have puppies, but humans have breasts that stick out
all of the time, etc.

When sighted children potty learn it is important that they watch their
parents using the toilet.  As early potty learners they will be interested
in the sequence of sitting down, wiping, flushing, they love that part, and
hand washing.  Eventually they progress to wanting to know what is going on,
I.E. what is going into the toilet.  When they do start to realize that, if
they are little boys, they need to aim their penis to get the urin into the
potty, or to sit down if they need to defficate this can get a bit tricky,
but it is not that complicated.  A sighted boy can see his father aim, and I
wouldn't recommend having a father let his son touch him while he is aiming,
but it would not be out of line for the father to help his son aim his own
penis, and to talk to him about his son's own body.  It is no different from
inspecting a diaper rash or properly cleaning, especially if a male toddler
is not circomsized.  The same is true of girls.  They do not need to touch
their mother's anatomy, but they can look at their own while their mother
talks about it, or father, we have single parents, and it is all on the up
and up.  Also, garments can be helpful.  Letting a child compare a men's
undershirt with a bra, the fly on men's underware to the fly-free women's
underware, etc.  Simply explaining that men have swimmsuits that are like
shorts because their body parts take up more room and are on the outside and
that women's body parts are on the inside and so their bathing suits can fit
tighter, can be instructive.  Why not have a blind child explore small
models of the naked greek and roman classic artwork, Michael Angelo's David
anyone?  For families who breastfeed, there are some great nursing dolls, a
mommy and a baby and the mommy doll has a nursing dress on with slits in the
dress as are in adult nursing dresses and blouses.  It is important to show
a blind child how things relate to the body, I.E. where a hem line or neck
line or cuff of a garment falls, how those shift while moving, how a baby is
placed in a carrier on an adult's body works well.  Baby ballet, baby swim
and baby gymnastics is a great environment in which toddlers can discuss the
placement of lims and gross motor movements without shame, such as, "Ok, you
are going to jump and your feet will leave the trampoline, and you will land
on your bottom, then bounce up and land on your feet, then on your bottom."
when explaining a seat drop, or "Your center of gravity is here, so you need
to spread your arms and your legs and concintrate on keeping this right over
the balance beam." while touching their lower back and belly button to
indicate where their center of gravity is.

Realistic and open-minded parents are the key here.  It would not be out of
line for a blind child, not teen here, but child to touch the mother's
breast while she is nursing, to see how she latches the baby, or honestly,
for a teenage girl if she is curious.  It is the intent and the spirit in
which all of this is done.  It is true that blind children can not see the
pictures and films that are usually used to show boys what girl parts look
like and girls what boy parts look like, but there are highly accurate
plastic models available, and I hate to say it, but some high quality adult
toys are very accurate, and if an appropriate one can be found, this is also
acceptable depending on the age of the teen ager.  Also, birth is a
wonderful miricle and this is a great teaching tool.  I know some blind men
and women who have wittnessed, even helped a dog or a cat or a horse and
one, even a goat deliver their offspring.  This does bring such termonology
as vagina, cervix, plecenta and umbilical chord into a very real light, and
it is highly appropriate.  When I was giving birth to my son, my midwife,
doula and fiance could see the baby crowning and my blind mother felt it.
Now, would I waltz into her room and say "Hey, mom, look at this thing that
is going on with my vagina, or my breast."?  No, of course not.  If I had a
minor concern I would describe it and ask her advice, but you can bet that
if I suddenly went into labor I would want her to help me check my dilation,
to help me deliver at home if it was an emergency.  Hell, even my father to
help deliver a baby if he was the only one there.  I wouldn't go around
asking my teen-aged son about his penis, but if he somehow managed to
seriously injur it in someway, I can't imagine how, but if he did, I would
not be squeemish about looking at it for him if we were talking about a life
threatening issue.  Maybe this is just the mommy in me and the hippy in me,
but I am just not a person who is easily embarrassed and never shamed.
Child birth will do that to you.  In the hospital when I was getting the
hang of nursing and one of my nipples was cracking, and the  nurse came in
to check on me, I said hi, unzipped my night gown, whipped out my breast and
asked her if I was bleeding.  She was a nurse, I was a newly nursing mom and
I needed medical information.  I was a relatively comfortable woman before
child birth, but I still asked in birthing class if I could keep a bra and
panties on until I hit the pushing phase and how I could limit the number of
people that would see me unclothed.  I laugh now when I hear prenatal women
ask things like that, in a gently amused way you understand, not in a cruel
way.  When I was in labor with all of that pain and all of those hormones I
was zipping around my delivery room, naked as a snake, yelling and moaning
and just wanting not to be in pain anymore and wanting people to see
whatever body part they wanted if they could get my baby out quickly and
safely.  So, to the dads on the list and the parents who have adopted and
not had biological children, this might help you understand where I am
coming from on all of this.

I think the only real instance in which a blind child would be at an extreme
disadvantage would occur if the parents were so encredibly up-tight that
they could not talk openly and honestly with their children.  It is sad when
that happens though.  I met a blind girl at camp who didn't know how to put
in a tampon and who could not go swimming because of that.  She knew that
what was covered bhy her underwear was her vagina, but that was it.  She
didn't know the different parts, and she thought that it was dirty and that
if she didn't wash the heck out of her hands after going anywhere near it
that she would get sick.  It took me literally sitting down with her and
using my hand as a demonstration with the tampon and applicator and
discussing good and bad bacteria and PH levels etc with her before she could
stop worrying.  That is a real shame, but this is not spacific to blind
children, it is a problem that many sighted boys and girls encounter.  Then
again, I am a very open person confident in my body.  I am a breastfeeding
mother who has often used my own baby and my own breast to demonstrate to a
new mother struggling with latch issues some techniques that might help.  I
have given demonstrations to blind and sighted young women, and young men on
contraseption and safe sex.  One of my favorite and highly effective
demonstrations involves taking a profalactic and putting it over my hand and
arm, up to the elbo and telling them "Don't ever let your male partner tell
you that it won't fit on them, because it fits over my entire fore-arm, and
if they are larger than that, then they should immediatly seek out either
medical attention or the ghinnis book of world records."  I digress,
greatly, but the point is that with proper guidance and very little
adaptation, a blind child should not have any more problems with sexual
identity, gender identity and body image than any sighted teenager does, and
they have their share of problems too.  Last thought.  It does help if your
child has some close friends that they can explore with.  I'm not saying
that they should be making out with their same sex friends at the age of
ten, but girls putting on each other's makeup, fastening each other's bras
and jewelery, brushing each other's hair, giving  massages, etc can help
with most of the body comparison questions.  Having a boy involved in
wrestling, martial arts, stage fighting and acting classes, etc or some
other physical sport or activity in which they will naturally be required to
touch another's body for demonstration purposes will give them a lot of
feedback.  Having enlightened children who are, for instance, interested in
learning how to give basic massages, taking the CPR course offered by the
red cross, or in taking a dance class, or a sculpting class in which the
instructor might ask all students, blind and sighted to close their eyes and
touch the other person's face then sculpt it from memory are other potential
learning outlets.  Will your blind son or daughter experience a jolt of
excitement, fear, amazement, amusement, wonder, confusion and surprise when
they explore their first sexual partner's body for the first time, in their
teen-age or young adult years?  Yes, of course, but that is the case with
sighted teens and young adults as well, and it should be that way.  Enough
knowledge to be safe, healthy and prepared, enough mystery to make it
special, unique and magical.  I hope that helps.