[blindkid] Working on our technique!

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Mon Apr 12 02:16:46 UTC 2010

I love seeing any photos of blind kids exploring their world with
confidence!

I don't know if the term is commonplace or not but I have heard this
referred to as a "staff grip" which for us came up first when walking
up stairs-- Kendra would hold the cane like this and push or lightly
twist the bottom away from herself. Every time you go up a step the
cane jumps forward (as you clear a step) and bumps into the next
higher step so you know you have another step to go. This helps avoid
the frustrating situation where you try to "step up" onto one more
stair than there really is (or kicking a stair when you're not al the
way up). Once you reach the top, the cane "floats" out so you know
that's the landing then you can switch to a more appropriate grip to
travel on.

There may be other good uses for that grip and better approaches for
the stairs too, but as far as I'm concerned, especially with a young
child new to cane travel, ANY additional feedback they get from a cane
(as opposed to having no cane) is useful and good. Over time,
techniques and grips can be refined and improved but we don't need our
kids to sit and wait to become mobile until they have "mastered" all
techniques.

Keep up the good work, Jack! (You too Marie!)

Richard