[blindkid] Canes and amusement park rides?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Aug 6 15:33:35 UTC 2010

In at least some parks (Disney parks?) there are accommodations--
special passes that get you around the line and so forth with special
needs, including blindness. You may or may not agree with skipping the
line and I'm not trying to debate that-- I expect you could choose to
go through the line even with the pass, but my understanding is that
with any equipment that can't go on a ride-- be that a wheelchair or a
walker or a simple cane, with the pass, an employee is designated to
take whatever the equipment is directly to the exit point on the ride
to be waiting for the guest. (On some rides, the entrance point is is
not easy to reach from the exit.)

If I can remember who told me about this, I'll try and get more
details-- it may have even been on this list, but I'd ask guest
relations in any park and see what they have already arranged--
clearly we need canes to be at the exit after we ride and we don't
want people getting hurt by them either on the ride or from their
flying off a ride, etc.

Richard