[blindkid] Canes and amusement park rides?

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 17:34:33 UTC 2010

Thanks everyone!
I had a feeling I was over thinking things and I"m glad to hear it's not a
big deal :-)  We're going on Tuesday, I hope I don't melt!

Jess, I know canes aren't popular in the Albinism community but Hank
truly does need it, it's not just for identification.  He does have enough
vision to manage without it but he manages so much better with it!  He
doesn't trip over little changes in terrain that people with typical vision
can see coming, he doesn't stop dead in his tracks when the sun comes out
from behind a cloud, he doesn't have to stop 3 ft before a curb and shuffle
his feet to find where the edge actually is.  He's got his head up looking
at what's around him instead of looking down concentrating on what his feet
are doing.

Without his cane, he's clingy, walks slowly and anxious about going to new
places.  With his cane he's relaxed, I'm telling him to slow down (so I can
keep up LOL!) and he's a lot more willing to go to new places instead of
wanting to stay home.

We went to the NOAH conference a couple of weeks ago.  I only saw a few
people using canes.  Certainly everyone has the right to decide what works
for them or not and there is a wide range of vision possible so also true
that not everyone w/ Albinism needs a cane but I have a feeling there are a
lot of people who would get great benefit from a cane who aren't using one.

One neat interaction we had though...  We were heading towards an escalator
and a man who was getting on before us stumbled at both the top & the
bottom.  Didn't actually fall but it was clear he misjudged exactly when to
step.  At the bottom, he stayed there and watched Hank (who had his cane)
 After we got off, he congratulated Hank for using his cane so well.  He
said he recently got one himself but still felt self conscious using it in
public so he leaves it home a lot.  He said to Hank "You know, it's a lot
more embarrassing to stumble on an escalator, I'm not going to be afraid to
use it anymore"  Now, he might have just been being nice to a little kid but
he sounded sincere :smile.

Holly

--
http://www.raceforindependence.org/goto/Hank