[blindkid] Canes and amusement park rides?

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 05:10:06 UTC 2010

Very scary about the Six Flags experience below!
I think I'll tuck a letter from his dr in my purse to be on the safe side
since we haven't gotten Hank's "blind card" in the mail yet :smile.

 I agree that being blind on it's own isn't a reason to get out of standing
in line.  With good O&M skills and no other medical issues, there is no
reason a blind person can't navigate a ride queue.   When we say we want
equal rights as everyone else, that means waiting in long lines too LOL!

Disney has what I feel is a good system in place.  You can go to guest
relations and get a Guest Assistance Card.
You explain to the staff member what types of assistance you need and they
mark the appropriate accommodations on the card.  You show the card in the
situations where it applies.  It does not give you front of the line access
though sometimes you do end up getting through things a little faster.

Some of the pre-printed reasons are to be able to wait in a shaded/cooled
area, to allow a stroller to be used as a wheelchair (go through the queue
instead of leaving it outside), use an alternate entrance (usually the
wheelchair entrance or fast pass entrance), front seating for VI guests.  If
it's something not specifically printed, the staff member can write in
what's needed. The theory behind it is they want to give you the help you
need to get equal enjoyment out of your visit as a typical guest would.

Because Hank has Albinism, we would ask for the front seating as well as
shaded waiting areas and alternate entrances.  He's been to Disney once (3
yrs ago, before he had a cane hence my original question!)  We found the
card to be helpful but we didn't have to actually use it often because
things are fairly accessible as is.

If the waiting are was fully shaded, we'd wait in the regular line with
everyone else.  If it's going to be a long wait in full sun, we'd show the
card because if we get stuck in too many long, sunny lines, we're going to
have to end the day early to avoid a crispy kid.
For the front seating, they don't reserve special seats nor will they move
an already seated guest so if you get there late in the seating process
there may not have anything available.  You can choose to sit wherever
available or wait for the next showing to get the front seats.  I think
that's reasonable since the turnover for just about everything is pretty
quick.  Also they have designed most exhibits to be very visible from all
areas so we didn't necessarily need to sit up front for him to enjoy it.

The cards are especially good for autistic kids.  A lot of autistic kids
simply can not hold it together in a 45 minute line plus the whole
experience is so overwhelming it's likely they won't be able to do a full
day.  The GAC will usually let them use the fast pass entrance, shortening
the wait and allowing them to cover more ground in the shorter time
available.  Our older son has Aspergers.
We went a few times when he was younger (and before Hank!) this was our
situation.  We'd get the card but not always use it.  If he was having a
good day, if they lines weren't too bad, we waited like everyone else.  But
on those rough days, being able to shave off some waiting time or even just
being able to wait someplace not as crowded & noisy made all the difference
in the world.

Using a wheel chair as a stroller works well for many autistic kids
(security/personal space).  It's also for kids who may have a physical
condition that doesn't require them to use a wheelchair in their daily life
but trying to walk/stand all day would be too fatiguing.

Holly

Some of the  and how many people are in your party.  They allow up to six
people to accompany the card holder.  If you are with a larger group, the
other people have to wait in the regular lines.

--
http://www.raceforindependence.org/goto/Hank