[blindkid] braille qwerty usb keyboard needed

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Aug 19 22:54:12 UTC 2010

Thanks,

I've heard that too but I disagree. I suspect that just as a sighted
typist may learn to type visually, then later by "touch" alone
("touch" meaning location, not like touching braille in this case), so
it may work, at least for my daughter with the braille caps. Kendra is
very fast and capable on a braille keyboard but far too tentative on a
conventional keyboard. It doesn't matter if JAWS is on and calling out
the keystrokes either, Kendra wants to "know" what key is going to be
pushed before she pushes it.

I see this as a learning aid. Once the skill is mastered, it can go on
the shelf or we can switch her back and forth for a while if needed to
build up confidence. Long-term, I think it is not a good strategy.
Short-term, I think it is worth a try, at least in our case.