[blindkid] Independence Day

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 16 14:42:03 UTC 2010

Clicker? Sue, can you tell me more about this clicked?

Marie (mother of Jack born May 2005)
See glimpses of life with my determined son who is developing in his own way at his own time at http://allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com

From: Susan Harper <sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org>
Sender: blindkid-bounces at nfbnet.org
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:24:07
Cc: Jackie Carraway<jcarraway at criinc.org>; Karen Jacobs<kdj.beach at gmail.org>
Subject: [blindkid] Independence Day

Hi All,

     We are almost three weeks into our around the country RV trip.  We have
been to Quebec Province, down through Ontario, into Niagara Falls New York
and are presently spending the weekend with cousins in Mayville New york.
Our boys turn 4 tomorrow.  Wonder where the time went.

     What I really wanted to share was Vinnie's continuing push, ours and
his, for independence.   Vinnie has been to many new places and environments
to orient to on our journey, which has been a plus to see him explore and
use his cane more efficiently.  Like anything, there has to be a reason in
order to want to achieve something.  He asked me to, "let go my hand", and
proceeded to walk by himself.  Generally he wants to hold my finger in new
places especially, so this was exciting.  He is also orienting better to the
sounds of our family and able to stray a ways, supervised of course, and
come back on his own.  He orients quite well to the clicker we started using
a couple of months ago, so I don't have to constantly talk to keep him on
track when out walking or in a crowd.  Our boy is growing up!

     Have a great weekend all.

Blessings from Mayville New York,
Sue H.