[blindkid] Independence Day

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 14:51:58 UTC 2010

Wonderful news!

Getting out of the normal routine can do wonders for independence.  I'll
admit we can be homebodies here and day to day there aren't always a lot of
new experiences. Not because of Hank's blindness, we were like that
pre-Hank.  Going to convention did a world of good for him (and me!). A week
of navigating a huge hotel and constant cane use.  By the 2nd day, he was
grabbing his cane automatically when we went out of the room without the
usual "Do I HAVE to take my cane??" whining.  By the 3rd day, he was buzzing
around the hotel so fast I had a hard time keeping up with him!  Much
different than the kid 6 months ago that wanted to hold my hand even when he
was using his cane and when not holding my hand would try to keep himself a
half step behind me so he knew exactly where I was at all times.

He had an O&M lesson a week before Convention and he had one 2 days ago at
our local mall.  His O&M instructor couldn't get over the difference in just
that short time.  She remarked at how much more confidence he had, how much
more relaxed he looked (no scrunched up shoulders and scuffing feet) again
zipping along 5-10 feet in front of us and rarely looking back to make sure
we were close by.  She even commented that if he was going
to consistently have such a fast pace, he was going to need a longer cane!
 I knew that already but it was awesome to hear *her* say it!

Holly

--
http://www.raceforindependence.org/goto/Hank