[blindkid] alternative parenting guide

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Jul 20 13:39:11 UTC 2010

Thanks so much-- I think we all have moments like that. (I know I do.)
That thing with the elephant size was a fairly recent case of that for
me. For a moment I thought, "how could Kendra not know how big an
elephant is?!!" Then I quickly realized nobody must never have
specifically told her, or certainly not to the point where it was
clear and it "stuck". Yet what do you want to bet every sighted kid in
her class had seen pictures of elephants in perspective dozens of
times in school and on TV shows and most likely at the circus.

I never told my sighted kids how big they are either, but they have
seen elephants in perspective at zoos and on TV and in photos and
drawings in books as well as seeing small representations in toys and
such. Kendra knows cars are big, because she rides in them and walks
around them in the driveway or a parking lot, but at least in our
neighborhood, there are relatively few live elephants to run across...

Richard