[blindkid] Affordable brailling options

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 21 00:26:35 UTC 2010

Hello everyone, can y'all give me some ideas for affordable options for brailling some of our favorite books at home. I have a borrowed Perkins brailler but am quite slow currently. I also have a labeler which is faster but the strips are a bit awkward when I am trying to fit them on the book pages. Jack has recently become more interested in those dots and books in general. I have been modeling sweeping my fingers as I read and I am very delighted to report that I found him "reading" one of his favorite books to himself and he was sweeping his hands across the page!!! Unfortunately it was in a book that I have yet to braille. I would love to know if there is an affordable option for printing up braille quickly at home. I was thinking of maybe something that I could hook to my computer? Is that what an embosser is? It would be a whole lot faster if I could type the text and then have something "print" the Braille for me. Is such technology available and affordable for home use?

Yes I do plan on practicing more with the Brailler but until then....

Marie (mother of Jack born May 2005)
See glimpses of life with my determined son who is developing in his own way at his own time at http://allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com