[blindkid] Affordable brailling options

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Jul 21 00:55:55 UTC 2010

That is exactly what an embosser is-- a "braille printer", but
unfortunately, "faster" and "affordable" are generally not in the same
category. A good low-end embosser (new) is in generally in the $2500
range and that will also require Duxbury or some similar translation
software if you're going to want to produce contracted braille. That
will add $600 to $1000. There are used options for the hardware, but
if you're new to this there may be support and/or repair issues and
repairs can easily be $1000+ for some of these units. Also, these are
generally tractor-fed devices so you can't easily run sheets of
adhesive material through them with ease-- assuming you want to stick
clear braille over the pages. I expect you can get tractor material
for that but it is probably not cheap and probably comes in good sized
boxes (expensive) and you'd have a good deal of waste with it as well
from feeding in & out to tear off the work as you go...

The above may not be terribly helpful as I'm telling you what won't
work cheaply, as opposed to what will, but I think generally if you
want to add braille to children's books, the fix is dymo labels or
sheets of that clear material in a Perkins, so you already have the
preferred solution, it is just a bit of a hassle and somewhat slow. Is
there a local person who is faster with braille who might be able to
sit down with you for a book-brailling session once in a while? Maybe
someone from a local NFB chapter, for example if not through the
county or school system? And of course there are already multiple
sourced for pre-made books. Short-term, you could buy a lot of braille
books for much less than an embosser and the required software...

Richard