[blindkid] Affordable brailling options

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Jul 21 03:24:10 UTC 2010

I feel compelled to toss in a word of caution from a parent who is
still fairly new to braille's perspective--

There are absolutely some deals to be had on used embossers on ebay--
I have found (and bought) some of them, but it is absolutely a buyer
beware sort of situation.

When a $200 used Romeo breaks, Enabling will probably charge at least
$1200 to rework it (their figure, not mine-- I asked them for a
typical repair cost with no major problems on a Romeo). If a used
printer with no manual has the some of the dip switches in the wrong
positions, you can be delayed and frustrated at best, while you search
for the switch functions. If you think the switches are wrong but the
printer is actually DOA, it may take you a really long time to figure
that one out. Remember proficient Braille readers, some of us who are
new to braille have to check dot-by-dot to see if we are embossing
what we think we are so testing can be VERY tedious. If a line width
is chopping off characters for example, that may not be terribly
obvious to some of us.

If you needed a USB printer but ended up with an old serial/parallel
solution, there may be a need to adapt things-- more time, money, and
frustration. Even if you track down free or low-cost translation
software, Braille embossers just aren't like the plug-and-play ink jet
& laser printers many of us have come to expect in the sighted-print
world.

The bottom line is if you're not paying for a warranty and support,
you may find that a $200 embosser quickly becomes a $200 (or more)
lesson in frustration, but if you like to gamble it might also get you
up-and-running for a couple thousand dollars less than buying new
equipment.

Personally, I do tend to gamble on things like this in many cases but
sometimes it costs me money. In any case, to get up-and-running
quickly, I'd most likely put finding any sort of embosser on my list
well below borrowing the use of one with a more experienced braille
producer or having someone more used to doing this with Braille label
sheets help you on a Perkins for now. I'd also seek all the ready made
solutions I could find, especially the free ones before any of the
above-- there are quite a few of them out there.

Remember to see Carol's link for some of those:

http://www.nfb.org/nfb/NOPBC_Braille_Storybooks.asp?SnID=2

That's my two cents' worth...

Richard