[blindkid] affordable brailling options

Rosina Solano colemangirly at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 12:30:17 UTC 2010

This sounds like some of what I did when my son was younger with books we already had.  Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but what about a MountBatten Brailler?  I think it is great, as it can work many ways.  It is an electronic brailler.  Sort of like the difference in the old typewriter to the new ones.  We hated the Perkins, but it did have its use.
Anyway, the MountBatten came with a keyboard that you could use to hook up to it, so I could type away (I am a fast typer) and it would print out on the Brailler in braille.  I used clear label sheets and typed each page with a double space between pages then when full, I would cut them out and put on pages.  My son particularly loved this since he had some vision and could still look at the pictures.
You can braille in either beginning braille or contracted, then when they get older they still have it as a brailler to use.  I love ours and the only drawback was the cost of $2000 or so, but my son uses his everyday after school for his homework, so it was a good investement.  Now, he is preparing to convert to the braille note as he is older, but we are still trying to get funds for that.

Good luck.
Rosina
mother of Roman 12, Ethan 9, and Kaile 3