[blindkid] affordable brailling options

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Jul 22 14:07:48 UTC 2010

Mountbattens are nice. As I understand it, they have been made in
Australia since around 1991. Humanware has apparently started
distributing them fairly recently (I saw them at Humanware's booth for
the first time earlier this month in Dallas.) Last time I checked, the
low cost model was still about $2000.00 and the deluxe design was
around $3800.00.

Sounds like you have had some good luck with them-- that's great. The
main down side I have heard from a number of parents is that
Mountbattens tend to get outgrown somewhat as opposed to a similarly
(or slightly higher) priced PDA or computer system and conventional
embosser, but obviously it depends on the specific needs you are
trying to address, and they do indeed offer braille embossing to some
degree at a comparatively affordable price. Mountbattens are not going
to be as well suited to large batches of braille production as
something like a Romeo Embosser.

Also, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the unit
is sheet-fed only (no way to use tractor paper) and it seems like it
won't accept paper as large as the (fairly standard) 10 x 10.5 inch
sheets. In short, the Mountbatten falls in the gap somwewhere between
a Perkins and a computer (or PDA) coupled with an embosser.

Here is the link to the humanware page on Mountbattens:

http://www.humanware.com/en-usa/products/blindness/braille_embossers_and_writers/_details/id_84/mountbatten_braille_writer.html

Richard