[blindkid] Thoughts?

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 27 14:30:23 UTC 2010

Hey guys, just thought I'd ask if maybe some of you or your kiddos do this stuff or whatever thoughts you might have on the reason behind it.

First, a little background...Jack is 5 years old (end of May). He was born with Apert syndrome. He has been diagnosed with optic nerve atrophy. No one knows for sure what caused the optic nerve atrophy but they think it may have been caused by chronic slightly elevated increased intracranial pressure. He is believed to also have cortical visual impairment. He has a VP shunt and still also a fairly large soft spot on the right side of his head (and it is soft). He has an expressive speech delay. He does appear to understand everything but he is not able to express all his thoughts verbally so we can't really ask him what's going on.

So here's the stuff:

1. Waves his hand in front of his face as if he is trying to look at his fingers.

2. He has a preference for using only one hand/arm at a time. He rarely will use two hands together to accomplish a task. I don't notice a preference of one hand/arm over the other. It's just that he would rather use only one. We have to prompt him to use two hands.

3. Bobs his head up and down quickly as if he gets some stimulation out of it.

4. Rubs his head on the carpet.

5. Constantly doing "yoga"--the downward dog position.

Marie (mother of Jack born May 2005)
See glimpses of life with my determined son who is developing in his own way at his own time at http://allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com