[blindkid] Speech Delay

Meng, Debi Meng at sccompanies.com
Tue Jul 27 14:46:35 UTC 2010

Hi List mates,

Jonathan will soon be 5.  He is a micro-preemie with ROP, no vision in
the left eye, and light perception only in the right eye.   We are
thankful for the light perception :).

Jonathan also has global developmental delays, especially in the area of
speech.  He has fair receptive communication, but we have struggled with
the expressive speech for several years.   He does have a few signs, and
word approximations to help with his communication needs.     As he is
getting old, the communication is getting tougher and we are looking for
help.     Jonathan has a great TVI and she thinks he has trouble with
tongue placement but she is looking for suggestions on how to show him
where the tongue should be placed.    Our SLP has never worked with a
blind child before and also needs suggestions.   Her visual speech
methods obviously will not work with Jonathan.

Do you have any suggestions or know of other resources that might be
available?

Debi (grandmother of Jonathan, born Aug 2005, ROP)