[blindkid] Wii Device Teaches Visually Impaired to WalkwithCanes

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jun 8 00:46:41 UTC 2010

It is actually upsetting to me, because it reflects a complete disconnect
between the sighted creators and the blind community.  I think if blind
people, a rellivant sample size of blind people had actually been consulted,
that this would never have gotten off the ground.  I know all about the WII,
my fiance is a video game fanatic, but keep in mind how unrealistic most of
the things really are, Guitar hero for instance, ask any music major.  I
think this will only widen the void, not bridge the gap socially for blind
and sighted children.  Sightet people dreamed up the opticon and thought
that was brilliant, but blind people pretty quickly put a stop to that, and
it's one more misleading and inaccurate thing to get pushed into the general
misconception of blind people.  Our text book for special education
educators was still talking about the opticon, about the apple 2 E, and
talking about beep baseball as if it was the only sport blind people play
and saying that blind people never follow sighted sports, and on and on.
Enough people have the wrong idea, let's not give them something else to
mock or be confused about.