[blindkid] never stands still

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Jun 10 18:18:58 UTC 2010

Marie,

I think you're exactly right.

Kathy,

All kids have a real need to move. Sighted kids just have an easier
time expressing that need comfortably. Get her in motion. Swimming is
a great start. In the right level of water you can jump and spin and
twist and you never fall and crash, so it feels very safe. As she
continues to learn to really swim, that offers other sorts of
movement. Gymnastics may be an option. Swinging worked great for
Kendra, especially when she was a bit younger. Dance classes are
great. We've always tried to redirect undesirable motion and offer
lots of appropriate alternatives.

For us, the most powerful solution to excessive movement and general
fidgety behavior has been a small trampoline. Our daughter jumps an
incredible amount. Kendra will be 8 in the fall and we are on our 5th
trampoline so far. I have also repaired and rebuilt several of these
things along the way. We've tried three different brands and ordered
numerous spare parts. She jumps through these things in 6 months to a
year. Springs break. Elastic bands stretch and sometimes snap too.
Metal frames tear from the springs' pull. One frame even folded and
nearly snapped. These trampolines stay in the house and are not
abused. They're generally intended for only a single jumper and rated
up to around 100 lbs. Kendra weighs about 58 pounds so it is not that
we are overloading them.

We're not too concerned about the cost of these trampolines or the
need to replace them-- my point is that Kendra uses these things
aggressively and often-- to the point of their destruction. Clearly
she needs the motion. She may spend 20 or 30 minutes jumping on a
"slow" day and an hour or two on a typical one. She may jump and do 30
or 40 or 50 seat drops, literally in a row. She sings and tells
stories as she jumps; it is amazing. (Listening to her go can be quite
exhausting!) She knows where the trampoline is and she has learned
over the years to go to it when she needs to. It helps her not direct
so much energy to things like beating up her little brother!

Some kids also like the feeling of the joint compression from the
jumping and also enjoy similar joint pressure on wrists or elbows. Ask
an OT about joint compression before you do too much with it. Other
things we've found useful: swinging her in a blanket between 2 people,
wrapping her tightly "like a hot dog" in a blanket, gently squashing
her and lots of things like that. Again, she likes the feeling of
pressure. (Your milage may vary with the pressure idea-- personally I
cannot stand that sensation!)

Richard