[blindkid] never stands still

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jun 11 16:59:32 UTC 2010

While I do agree with Mike that walks are wonderful.  We take one, but
usually two every day, potty concerns can be a real problem as Richard said,
especially with the two to four set.  Jeremy actually won't leave sight of
our portch, which, with his low vision, is no more than one house away.  So,
I put him in our ergo baby carrier, walk a half a mile away, by my
pedometer, then take him off on his harness and leash and we walk back.
Once we are out of sight of the portch and he can't freak out trying to go
back to it, he walks happily on the leash all of the way home.  This has
never been a problem since he is still in cloth diapers, but we have just
begun potty learning and I am worrying how many set backs we will have when
he needs to go and there is no bathroom anywhere near.  It's enough with the
baby and the dog, that I am not dragging a spill-proof travel potty on every
walk, then hiding him behind a bush or under a tree to sit on it in semi
privacy.  If you do decide to embrace walks, make them frequent, but not
long.  That is what all of the mamas with toddlers in my town do.  Long
walks with infants and older children once or twice a day, but toddlers get
walks a quarter as long two or three times more often.

I also agree with the independent aspect.  Jeremy can go jump whenever he
needs to work his toddler crazies out, and is especially good on rainy days,
and in the nasty Rochester winter, although I have to admit that the nature
aspect of walking does apeal to me much more, when weather and circomstances
permit.