[blindkid] talking to a child about blindness

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Mar 11 20:42:45 UTC 2010

I agree with Carol, and speaking of self-advocacy and advocacy in
general, if memory serves, around age 2 or 2-1/2 is about the time I
first remember Kendra being old enough to get involved in things like
music classes, gymnastics and such, so that was the time when we
really started having a lot more encounters with strangers who would
at times react-- well, "unpredictably" I guess is the best term?

This was the time was when we really had to really start speaking up
for Kendra, to help her learn how to do the same for herself as she
got older.

As soon as Kendra began wearing painted prosthetics, especially when
her cane was not in hand, she didn't "look" blind at all. Kids,
especially small kids would look confused as she would sometimes
appear to be staring almost directly through them. One day after gym
class, a little boy was perplexed and began to wave his hand in front
of her. She failed to react and the boy was really confused. His
parent was mortified, grabbed the boy's hand and told him to "stop"! I
quickly said it was okay, that Kendra could not see him; her eyes
worked differently than his. The boy looked satisfied and the
"problem" was more or less resolved just that quickly. Hopefully, he
also got the message that is was not wrong to be curious about her
blindness and he need not be afraid of her because she has no vision.
I think (and certainly hope) the parent may even have learned a bit
that day, too.

With his parent still right there, I gently asked the child if he had
any questions, or words to that effect. He really didn't, but the
situation was totally different from that point on with them when we'd
see them in class, etc.. This was the first I can recall of of many
encounters with curious kids. We still have them rather often. When we
do, we respond directly, calmly and to the point. Of corse the cane is
really only a clue for the parents and even with them, many don't
catch on too quickly. (I find that surprising.) I assume it is because
they see few blind people with canes and even fewer cane-traveling kids.

When our daughter was a baby, for a short time, she wore thick glasses
(before she lost what vision she had). I remain amazed how many
parents asked why she was wearing "those cute glasses". Some truly
assumed they were a fashion statement and nothing more. Again, I
suspect it is just seeing something quite unusual and then their
brains malfunction. I don't think any of those who asked were ever
trying to be inappropriate or hurtful. Every time we can manage to, we
use these people's questions as an opportunity to educate.

These days, when appropriate, we encourage Kendra to speak for herself
about things too and she tends to do just that--

"Why do you have that stick?" "This is my cane, it helps me see where
I'm going.", etc., Things like that. Much more often though, it is
just Kendra taking charge when she hears a voice she does not know--
"Hi, what's your name?!!" is something we hear daily, often many times
a day from her.

It is interesting too, how Kendra's little brother (with typical
vision) follows her example and just like his big sister is quick to
announce, "Hello. I'm Kendra", as soon as she hears other kids
talking, he'll walk up to another 3 or 4-year-old and immediately
announce, "Hi, I'm RJ!"

For Kendra, I think all of this stems from a growing awareness of her
situation and the knowledge that it is, as the NFB likes to say,
"respectable to be blind".

Richard