[blindkid] talking to a child about blindness

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Thu Mar 11 17:33:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

I think your instinct to talk about being blind in a normal way is
absolutely correct and one of the keys to having your daughter grow
up to calmly accept all parts of herself, including her
blindness.  Others have mentioned the many ways we in the Federation
help parents do this.  Our kids are listening.  As we speak to our
families, neighbors, teachers, and others in the community, they are
hearing the words we use to describe and discuss their blindness.  So
learn and use the positive language; then, when your child is older,
this will be familiar and natural to her and she will begin to take
on her own self-advocacy.  Make sure she meets other blind children
and adults so that she has an expanded sense of normalcy.

You've probably heard or read that we often describe blindness as
just another characteristic.  You might hear someone say, "my son,
who happens to be blind..." etc.  This is another helpful way to
discuss her blindness.  "Daddy's tall.  Mommy's short.  You're going
to be tall just like Daddy.  Mommy's got red hair.  You've got red
hair just like Mommy.  Our friend Joe is blind.  You're blind like
Joe.  We all have different parts to ourselves and that's part of
what makes the world a wonderful place."  That sort of thing.

When Serena was little, we called her brother (sighted) Eagle Eye,
because he really had a great visual talent and could always find
little items that had fallen on the floor.  We called Serena (still
do) the Big Ears and the Family Memory.  I think you can figure out why!

Another aspect of this is that sighted parents usually do not know
how blind people accomplish various tasks, so when things like this
come up, you can tell you're daughter, "Oh, we'll have to call Joe
and find out how grown up blind people take the cookie pan out of the
oven" or whatever.  In other words, in all parts of life, you can
facilitate your daughter's feeling comfortable and empowered.

Best of luck!

Carol

Carol Castellano, President
973-377-0976