[blindkid] talking to a child about blindness

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 11 22:55:15 UTC 2010

Playing hide and seek with sighted kids taught me a lot about sight when I
was growing up.  I remember being shocked when I discovered that sighted
kids could see under doors; if I wanted to hide in a room by closing the
door I had to get up on a piece of furniture and keep my feet off the floor.
I also found that kids could find me when I hid behind a door because they
could see through the gap by the hinges.  And I found out that bathroom
windows are tinted so no one can see in.  Hide and seek is just one example
of the myriad ways blind kids pick up working knowledge about vision.  The
opportunities are endless, especially if kids feel comfortable asking
questions.

Debbie