[blindkid] talking to a child about blindness

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Thu Mar 11 22:13:00 UTC 2010

I don't know if you've ever heard Gary Wunder's story about how he
found out about clear and solid--it's a good one.

I suppose you could get scientific about it and explain about light
and the fact that sighted people are pretty light-dependent
:-).  She'll learn all about that in physics class.  But for more
immediate information, I have a feeling it is just one of those
things that blind people memorize--most glass is clear, allowing
sighted people to see through it.  Some curtains are see-through, as
are some shower curtains.  Walls are generally not.  Doors can be, if
they have glass sections.  Mirrors are not.  You get the idea.

While we're on the subject, our kids need to learn that sighted
people cannot see around corners.

Carol