[blindkid] compose and edit without electronics

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 04:49:47 UTC 2010

Hi Joy,
As much as possible, I avoided typing, typewriters, computers, & any & all
electronic or mechanical writing gadgets until about 4 years after
graduating from medical school.
Like Carol, I organized my thoughts using the index card method. I would
write down whatever came to mind on an card; 1 or 2 similar thoughts per
card or strip of paper.
Then I arranged them in an order that made sense to me & from there I would
write my first draft. I would then cut up my rough draft in sections &
retape them together like it sounds you did, so that ultimately I only had
to type or handwrite out a final version of the paper out once.

My youngest son Petras is in second grade now.
He recently had to write an essay on a subject and is in the process of
putting together an oral report.
In each case I had him write down his initial thoughts using a Perkins, in a
bullet-point fashion. This could also be done with a Perkins or Slate &
Stylus using index cards.
He then wrote an initial double-spaced rough draft on the Perkins referring
to his notes.
We discussed how the initial draft could be tweaked to flow & sound better.
He was able to then "erase" words he wanted to get rid of & just like with
math or worksheets, there was room for him to make notes to himself in the
space above the lines he had Brailled.
He wrote his final version on his BrailleNote, but could just as easily have
written it on a Perkins
The process seemed to make sense, he enjoyed the new concept, & it worked
out well.
For his famous person speech, he chose to read a Louis Braille biography.
He put together a nice little speech & has been practicing hard all week.
Wednesday he gets to dress up like young Louis & hopefully all goes well.
It's actually been a lot of fun.
Good luck to Ahbee!
Best wishes,
Eric