[blindkid] Why Do You Want to Make that Child Blind?

Kim Cunningham kim at gulfimagesphoto.com
Tue Mar 23 13:11:42 UTC 2010

Sounds like everyone was quick to put a developmental delay label on your daughter at such a young age. Especially if she is only 1 to 2 months behind. Where is the delay? My daughter was born at 24 weeks gestation and began walking at 18 months. Every child will be different however. You may want to ask the label be removed from paperwork. This could create low expectations for others dealing with your child (now and in the future).
I would also worry that your TVI might pass on her assumpitions that learning braille is going to be "hard" to your daughter. She should have a positive and creative attitude about teaching braille. My daughter also has some sight. TVI's told us they would have to blindfold her to learn braille (as if it was some type of torture). At the end of the day, my daughter was never taught braille and struggled to keep up. Finally she became so frustrated (as with me) with the system, she started taking a Hadley distance education course on her own to learn braille while in junior high. She is currently as senior and is working feverishly to build her reading speed before college. It is much easier to teach the kids while they are young. I would recommend you call a meeting and ask/demand goals be written to introduce braille and orientation & mobility training (cane travel). You don't have to wait - you can call IFSP's (ARD's) at any time.
Just thought you would like to hear another mother's testimony.
Kim Cunningham