[blindkid] Why Do You Want to Make that Child Blind?

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Wed Mar 24 20:12:26 UTC 2010

Hi Eliza,

Please do come to Convention--I'd love to meet you, too!  And I know
exactly what you mean about feeling like crying--or really
crying--with relief at someone understanding what you mean.

My daughter was a premie and started walking at 28 months, or 24
months "corrected age" (she was 4 months premature).  You will see
"research" showing that it is typical for blind kids to be delayed,
but I have great skepticism about this and other research in the
field.  It sounds as if your daughter really likes to move--that is a
great thing.  She will like using a cane as a feeler much more than
using her head as one!

Is your daughter standing?  Cruising along the furniture?  Walking
along if someone is holding one or both of her hands?

There is a great book that will help you get your child going.  It is
"Independent Movement and Travel in Blind Children: A Promotion
Model," by Joe Cutter.  He has all kinds of ideas for young
kids.  Here is the link for the
book:
http://secure.nfb.org/ecommerce/asp/product.asp?product=852&cat=47&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=

Carol