[blindkid] transcribing time

Tina Egle tegle at oakton.edu
Sun Mar 28 22:19:01 UTC 2010

Hi Joy,

I have a blind child (totally blind from ROP)and his old school district
did nothing but kept sending printed materials as if they just want us to
read to him.  I finally removed him and was able to fight the district to
place him in a special vision school out of district and this vision
program rocks, I no longer have to ask what is supposed to be given to him
on time and they are always one step ahead of me which is how the way it
is supposed to be - after all they are teachers and we are just mothers.
As to your questions, this happened to be a common issues with most of my
friends who had to deal with the transcriber not being able to keep up
with the rate the school is giving homeworks, and eventually mothers just
had to go to public libraries that have transcriber machine and they do
some chapters themselves and tell the school transcribers which pages were
done already and to skip to the next chapters.  It is pain in the neck,
but when you want a job done right and in an efficient time frame
sometimes you got to do it yourself.  Trying to convince School to hire a
2nd person might be far fetched, but it does not hurt to try requesting
them nicely but not to have your hopes too high.  I have seen this
happened to way too many people and I myself have gottten myself ready
when my son get older when they start to move him to school where I may or
may not get brailled materials and at least I know which library got the
machine and I am prepared what ever it will take to get him the necessary
materials.  We have to sacrifice so much of our time for our kids, this is
just one more
huddle we have to overcome.

Hope you find some ways,

Tina Egle