[blindkid] Graphic Novels Advice

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 5 23:15:55 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am seeking advice on “Graphic Novels”
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_novel).

One of my now 8th-graders summer Reading Book options was the graphic novel
“Maus”
(www.amazon.com/Maus-Survivors-Father-History-Troubles/dp/0679748407).

One of his extra credit book options for the year is another graphic novel
“It's a Bird”
(www.amazon.com/Its-Bird-Steven-T-Seagle/dp/1401203116/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283727691&sr=1-1).

Neither is available on Bookshare.

Obviously the artwork/pictures convey important information, similar to the
visual aspect of a movie or TV show. I admit my first reaction was “this
wont work because it is too visual. But then as I thought about this more, I
began to wonder, because blind people enjoy movies & TV shows even when they
cant see the visual aspects of these.

Apparently graphic novels are gaining in popularity & acceptance.

How are you dealing with “graphic novels”?

Sincerely,

Eric V