[blindkid] Self feeding

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 9 14:04:51 UTC 2010

Hello all!
As you may remember, Jack has five surgically separated digits on each hand but no joints (knuckles) within those fingers. He grasps objects between his palm & fingers. His fingers do bend where they meet the palm but not fully to 90 degrees. He has a modified grasp that serves him well for finger foods. It works okay for other fine motor tasks but he pretty much avoids fine motor tasks if he can. He also has some tactile/texture aversion/sensitivity.
We have been working on self feeding for a loooooong time and he is now quite independent with finger foods he is willing to touch.
He does very well with spoonable foods EXCEPT he will scoop at nothing or just get very little on his spoon over and over again. I am glad that he is doing it and not just giving up but surely there is another way? This is one of those tasks that must be difficult for Jack to use his limited vision (20/320 right eye, light perception left eye). He avoids looking at his plate or bowl when he eats.
I was discussing this with his dad last night and I think we need to quit asking him to look at the bowl/plate.
How do you teach a child to use eating utensils without using vision?
I look forward to your suggestions.

Marie (mother of Jack born May 2005)
See glimpses of life with my determined son who is developing in his own way at his own time at http://allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com