[blindkid] Self feeding

Sally Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:20:30 UTC 2010

We have our son hold a spoon in one hand and a fork in the other.  If the
spoon is in his right hand (he's right handed), he'll hold the fork on the
plate using it as something to push against.  I will admit that he's not
super fond of the technique.  It's much easier to use fingers.  We reinforce
this as much as seems reasonable at each meal and I would say that although
he is completely blind he is a pretty neat eater.  This is a continuing
process so you just have to keep after it.  I look forward to hearing the
ideas of others.

Sally Thomas