[blindkid] quiet activities

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:17:05 UTC 2010

Dear Marie,

I have not found that sitting quietly is really in the developmentally
appropriate range for 3-5 year olds. That's why they have a nursery or
children's church in many churches for kids up to age 5. My sighted
four year old can sit and color for a few minutes, but even that is
not particularly quiet. ("Mom, I need the blue crayon." "Mom, how do
you spell LOVE?")

I think practice helps, and offering a future reward. Other than that,
taking another adult along to help care for the child, so that Mom can
focus on what is at hand, is my solution.

Joy

Hey guys,
Can you give some ideas of what your kids like to do/activities you
plan when you need them to sit quietly in a public place?

Jack is developmentally between 3 and 5. His fine motor skills are not
great and he still has some textural sensitivity so he is not a fan of
play-doh, modeling clay, or the squishy styrofoam bead stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Marie (mother of Jack born May 2005)