[blindkid] Ceramics class

Jaquiss, Robert RJaquiss at nfb.org
Fri Apr 8 12:49:48 UTC 2011

Hello Pat:

     I have used pottery wheels both foot operated and electric. I didn't do anything different than my sighted peers.
Step 1: Make a ball of clay.
Step 2: Very slightly moisten the bottom of the ball and carefully place it on the center of the bat. The bat is a piece of material that sits on the wheel and holds the pot. Some wheels have two pins that go into two holes in the bat. It is possible to put a pot directly on the wheel surface, but it is harder to get the finished pot off.
Step 3: Slowly rotate the wheel and make sure the clay is centered. Press the ball firmly in place.
Step 4: Wet your hands and the clay and start the wheel. The clay must be slippery on the surface in order to throw it.
Step 5: Proceed as everyone else does when throwing.

     The wheel does tend to throw off excess water, so your clothes will look like you have been playing in the clay. I would not wear a Braille watch when throwing. Have fun.

Regards,

Robert

Robert Jaquiss
National Federation of the Blind