[blindkid] Using Sleep Shades in Chapter and State Affiliate-Sponsored Braille Classes

Mary Donahue braille at satx.rr.com
Mon Aug 15 00:57:07 UTC 2011

sHello everyone,

    Our chapter in San Antonio will be starting a Braille class this coming
Saturday in which I will be the lead instructor, and several members will be
assisting me. Lately, a question came up whether to use sleep shades. I've
studied both _The _McDuffy _Reader and _The _Slate _Book. I agree with both
Jennifer Dunnam and Sharon Monthei that using sleep shades is a must. Our
president, however, seems to think that we should not make the students wear
sleep shades unless students continuously bend down to look at the Braille.
The class planning committee met by telephone conference earlier, and all of
us on the call agreed we should use sleep shades. (Our president was absent,
and definitely in the minority.)So far, those four students who are coming
on Saturday have some or total vision.

    My question is do any of you know of chapters or state affiliates who
have sponsored Braille classes, and have the students worn sleep shades?
Please let me know as soon as possible before this coming Saturday so I can
forward your responses to the other committee members.

    Thank you in advance.

Mary Donahue, a nervous aspiring Braille teacher

"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."
Garrison Keillor