[blindkid] Using Sleep Shades in Chapter and StateAffiliate-Sponsored Braille Classes

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Mon Aug 15 02:35:40 UTC 2011

Hello Mary,
I always use sleep shades when teaching braille to persons with some
residual vision. As you are running the class then you are the one who can
choose methods. You may want to make a brief explanation as to why you use
sleep shades before asking students to put them on. I always explain that
there brain is currently using vision as a primary information mode. This
diverts precious brain resources away from other sensory input. when one is
working with a tactile code of reading and writing it is a brand new
experience for the brain. So, we want as many brain resources available as
possible to focus and learn. We put sleep shades on to let the brain retrain
its focus and divert resources, create new pathways and, in line with latest
brain research, retrain the brain to be able to focus primarily on tactile
input.

It's extremely unlikely that you'll get any argument with this research
based rationale.

Warmest regards,
Heather Field