[blindkid] math graphics

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 03:34:47 UTC 2011

Penny and other parents,

Graphic items in math seem to be "harder" for blind kids because the medium
is harder for us sighted teachers and parents to figure out. If we can get
the item represented correctly in a tactual format, it seems to be not such
a big deal.

Last week I used wikki sticks to make some shapes. We were supposed to make
a mirror image of the items on the page.

For a fraction item, I used squares and diamonds to represent the fraction.
For example, if 3 of 5 portions were shaded in the picture, I put out 3
squares and two diamonds. Once I explained the process, she was able to
tell me that was three fifths.

For wikki sticks, look at toy or craft stores, or warehouse stores like
Sam's, right after Christmas. We got a big box for a small price at an
after-Christmas sale. I guess that would work for other items as well.

This is just my two cents. I'm sure other parents and teachers have lots of
ways to show graphics that have worked.

Joy