[blindkid] re teaching overseas

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 18:53:44 UTC 2011

Thanks for all the kind words and good ideas about teaching overseas.
Arielle raises a good question--is this a group we want to work with,
based on the views expressed? The counter-question to that is, how
much do we want to do to help educate the people in this group about
blindness and blind people?

I appreciate the feedback, which reflects some of what we were
thinking when we first read the email. Rene, your suggestions are
great.

The organization in question runs international schools in a variety
of countries. The schools are American-style, with an international
population of students who are children of business people, diplomats,
and missionaries. The home office staff also are supposed to have had
some international experience. I think sometimes one person's
experience in one place can color their perceptions of the rest of the
world, just as a person's experience of meeting one blind person tends
to make them think they can generalize about all blind people.

Again, thanks all.
Joy