[blindkid] interesting article

Carol Castellano carol.joyce.castellano at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:40:49 UTC 2011

Hi Heidi,

Glad you posted this article.  Our family heard about ONCE at an NFB
convention way back when.  In 2002, we took a family trip to Spain
and visited their incredible museum in Madrid.

There they had beautifully crafted scale models of Spain's most
famous buildings and in another room, the famous buildings and
monuments of the world, such as the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the
Eiffel Tower.  My personal favorite was the Roman Aqueduct of
Segovia, Spain, which was set in  a giant diarama showing the start
of the aqueduct up in the hills and following it all the way down to
the city.  Truly incredible.

Our daughter Serena was in heaven because they also had audio, which
she could listen to in Spanish (she loves languages), and a guide in
Spanish braille that she could take home.  So she ended up with her
own tour book of all the places we were going to visit.  It was just
terrific.  We advise, if anyone is going to Spain, to go directly to
this museum from the airport and then on to the rest of your
trip.  That way your blind child will have as good an introduction to
the touring you will do  as the rest of the family.  We had a most
wonderful time.

Carol