[blindkid] kindergarten assistive technology

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri May 6 23:35:21 UTC 2011

I see Mountbattens on various sites priced from $2750 to $4000 and also $4500, though I suspect the $2750 may be an outdated price. I think there are at least a couple of models. The thing is, an 18 cell BrailleNote Apex with the 18 character display is only $4500. (I know, "only" is a relative term.) I can't imagine a Mountbatten being terribly useful for most kids after early elementary school, and as you mention Sally, they're not easy for kids to move around. (I also get the impression that they might be a little fragile? Can anyone speak to that concern?) Kendra takes her BrailleNote to and from school every day and probably moves it around the house, to & from the car, etc. a half-dozen times a day on average. A Mountbatten for her would just sit at school or at home; this is not something you stick in your backpack to move around.

They're totally different tools-- the BrailleNote is like a light-duty and very portable laptop computer while the Mountbatten is sort of an electric Perkins Brailler with some memory features. There are electric Perkins units available for around $1000, BTW, but they are just braillers-- no memory or edit features. There are also key extensions for a conventional brailler to make the keys easier to press if that is an issue.

I have no doubt that Kendra will be using something like an Apex throughout school, and possibly into college where the Mountbattens seem good for a couple if years at best. (Just for reference, it looks like the 32 cell Apex is about $6400 now.)

On the other hand, Mountbattens do produce paper output where you'll need an embosser for a BrailleNote if you want more output than speech or refreshable braille. We find that mostly we print out plain old text from BrailleWriters for sighted teachers to grade, but Kendra is generally quite happy with the built in display to review classwork and such. You can also hook an Apex up to a VGA monitor very easily if you need to see what your child is typing or looking at on a BrailleNote. That has come in handy several times for us here.