[blindkid] slate and stylus

Patricia bcsarah.fan at gmail.com
Mon May 16 00:32:18 UTC 2011

Hi everyone:

I, too, support you Penny in teaching Abby how to use the slate and
stylus, as I never learned how as a child. I got one last summer as I
realized its portability and wanted it as an extra tool to add to my
toolbox. As I taught myself how to use it, I am slow and slip all the
time and am probably not using proper technique at all. And now
because I didn't  learn while I was young I find it annoying, but
still recognizing its value. So I say the younger you can teach it the
better. But I don't think backwards. I think that was the one
deterrent when I saw one in high school and was told by my sighted
vision teacher and braillist that I needed to write backwards. That's
not true. I still think/write braille the same way I always did, only
reversing the direction I'm writing. Like Aaron, I just remember 1-2-3
is now on my right instead of my left. Quite the concept to try and
explain to many people, but it makes sense to me. If you're writing in
the opposite direction, of course your dot positions would reflect
that. I used to love when my friends and I would have an opposite day
as a child, doing everything opposite to how it should be. That might
be a fun way to introduce it too, and get friends and family involved,
so Abby will have someone to write notes to.

Patricia