[blindkid] Justifying a Specialized Environment for a Visually-Impaired Child

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 14 13:25:14 UTC 2011

Hi Mary,

Other people here are much better informed about the specialized environment part of your question so I'll let you hear from them on that one.

As far as the IEP process, I think it's very important that you understand your role and power as your child's first advocate. I highly recommend the Wrightslaw website (google Wrightslaw, sorry I don't have it readily available). There is lots of great information on the site and they have books which explain the IEP process and your role quite well.

Above all, if your child is to remain in public school or under public school services, remember that you need a team and though your team members do not always agree with you, it is best to keep things in a team frame of mind. Then if things get bad and you ever go to court over team squabbles, you are the reasonable person that maintained the cool head and understood the law.

Good luck!

Marie

sent via the Verizon Network from my Blackberry