[blindkid] Justifying a Specialized Environment for a Visually-Impaired Child

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Oct 14 14:02:38 UTC 2011

Excellent point Marie. That makes me think of one really critical detail as well. Hopefully this never happens, but if it comes up-- in case you disagree with an IEP-- that is, if a meeting comes to an end and you feel the IEP is not right or not complete, simply don't sign it. You have no requirement to sign it just to close out the meeting for them.

Further, if you do sign and then you change your mind, you can call for a new IEP at any time. They don't have to like it, but they do have to deal with it. The problem there is that they end up with a current  IEP "in force" until you change it in the next IEP, so they are less motivated to act quite as quickly to resolve things.

it will probably never come up, but just in case keep it in mind! I will mention for example, that in our case the worst we've ever had in an official IEP was that it ran really long before things were worked out. I think our most grueling meeting ran a little over 4 hours with around a dozen people in it. On the other hand, our last one was less than an hour. (They aren't all terribly painful!)

There was post fairly recently with a link to some IEP resources I think. If I can find it I'll repost or maybe the author of that will recall it.

Richard