[blindkid] Inquiry about IQ/Gifted Testing

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Mon Apr 23 22:33:58 UTC 2012

Hello Arielle,
I am not aware of any IQ tests normed for 4-year-old blind children. I
believe that the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for children (WISC), which is
now in its fourth version, may have been normed for blind children. However,
even this would present problems as it would only have been normed on the
nonvisual components. Furthermore, as the population of children who are
blind, with no additional interfering variables such as other disabilities,
is so small to begin with, and certainly the entire population was not
included in the process of norming the test,  it is almost impossible to
take any claims of something having been normed with blind children
seriously.

So, I would advise the parents to ask for their child to be assessed on a
combination of her work and on portfolios and recommendations from teachers
who work with her. The psychologist may want to give her some test of their
chosing but it really will have no significance in deciding this child's
ranking with her sighted peers.

Regards,
Heather field