[blindkid] Transition Program

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 19:20:03 UTC 2012

Hi Bo,
The independence training programs the NFB runs in Colorado, Louisiana
and Minnesota are all great for learning daily living skills and  many
people attend them between high school and  college. They also offer
college prep  programs, which typically involve taking one course at a
university during the nine-month independence training program and
receiving some guidance in notetaking and study skills. Your daughter
might benefit greatly from attending one of these programs  after high
school graduation or at least attending a summer program at one of
these centers.
If her needs  are primarily for more academic support, though, then I
might suggest seeing if  she can enroll in an academic support or
tutoring program at a local community college. There are day programs
designed for blind students in transition; however, to my knowledge
these programs tend to have very low expectations and are mainly
designed for blind students who do not intend to go to college. It
sounds like she has more in common with sighted students who have
academic challenges than she does  with blind students who are not
college-bound. A program designed for students with academic support
needs would be better at providing this kind of help than one for
blind students, in my opinion.
Also my understanding is that many community colleges are great at
working with students who come in at a remedial level in one or more
subjects.
Best,
Arielle